Thursday, June 2, 2011

Tangled Moments

In Disney’s latest animation feature, Tangled, there is a well-written scene, where Rapunzel leaves the tower for the first time and becomes externally/internal conflicted. The scene moves from her saying, “this is so much fun!” To a imagine of her laying facedown on the ground in despair saying she is a, “terrible person.”

On the way to WisCon35, LA Rede and I were talking about our, “Tangled” moments as writers.
There are moments in the writing process where I think I am genius. Followed by instants of the inner critic rearing its ugly head, taking creative gusto and shredding it.

This manic nature of the, tangled moment, is unpredictable. This is where I usually pick up the phone and call one of the Death Pixies and sob, “tell me I don’t suck.” I’ve discovered, having another creative type to bare witness to your tangled moment, can help shift perspective also, taking a break and doing something completely physical like going for a walk, cleaning etc. helps shift perspective. Eventually the tantrum passes and creative flow returns.

My advice all hang in there (find a tender ear), and don’t forget to breathe.

XO,

HRJ

2 comments:

Crystal said...

This post has come at a perfect time! I am in a tangled moment with my writing right now and have been reflecting on how different I was feeling a week ago, which was more along the lines of, "I can do this!" Thanks for the reminder that this is a normal part of writing and one that I can and will get through.

Laura Bradley Rede said...

I agree with Crystal. It's good to remember that this is a mood-swingy process for everyone! Thanks!