Sunday, March 20, 2011

Binge Writing part I

Digital Photo - HRJ, 2010
One of the many aspects I love about being a creative type is the ability to morph my process on a whim.


The other night, I spoke with fellow writer, former Death Pixie, {she has relocated to LA}, Gretchen Ash about  cleaver time saving techniques {and other writing related matters.} Gretchen had mentioned how she was going to have a, "writing marathon this weekend."


That phrase haunted me all night long. By the time, Friday afternoon hit, I had an inspired idea, "binge writing."




I find it beautiful even though Gretchen and I had the same goal: to write as many words as we could over the weekend. Gretchen's term, "writing marathon" is her language, perfected and succinct. Whereas "binge writing," is me, I ravenously chaotic my process. No matter how the process is languaged, the results are same - finished material.


I digress.


By the time, I got home from work on Friday, I was ready to go.


Note - I did not go into this process without a plan. I am a strategic thinker, I always have a plan in the form of a mind-map full of words, phrases, paragraphs and drawings. During my lunch hour at work you can find me a coffee shop with my iPad creating. {I will explain more about this part of the process in part II}


The result from the weekend, 15K worth of words written.


Does anyone else have writing marathons? Or binge write? Any tips? Love to read about it.


I am going to pass out now....
XO,
HRJ

2 comments:

Crystal Brutlag said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crystal said...

Whoops, I should watch what I'm doing! I accidentally deleted my previous comment, so here we go again.

I do my binge writing at night. I like to start between 8:30 and 9pm. I'll make a pot of coffee and once I finish that I have a pot of tea and a pitcher of water with me at all times. I usually wrap up around 2:30 or 3am and will write anywhere between 5k to 10k of words. Usually towards the 10k end.