Monday, October 18, 2010

Drunken Sage

Over the weekend, I planned out a couple of creative projects to work on over the next few months. I woke up this morning jazzed about bringing them to life but as the day pressed on, I became discouraged. My creative flow seemed to evaporate into the world around me.

In a state of utter frustration, I had a silent conversation with the Universe that went a little something like this - I don't know what you want from me!? Our relationship is manic, you give me great ideas and in a manner of moments all inspiration is gone. Empty. Frankly, I am tired of being empty. When I get home tonight, I am going to sit. Simply sit, in silence.


Tonight, I was on my way home from French lessons, on the bus I sat next to gentlemen who smelled like a distillery. We began talking, actually, he began talking to me. Asking me a bunch of rapid fire questions, in the mist of answers I began telling him about my ideas and my frustrations. One I was done with my monologue.

There was a long pause.

 He held up his arm, "you see this?" He shoves his arm in my face.
 "These are goosebumps. You have a special connection to the heartbeat of society. You have to use your artistic visions. Now, I am not trying to be all philosophical but I am speaking the truth. Most people get caught up in the cycle of the mundane. Us visionaries are destined for a different life. Not that we are any better everyone else but we've simply made different choices. You've found your talent. Now find your tribe."


I sat for a moment stunned - speechless, humbled.
I thanked Tom (that is his name). Told him to have a great evening. His witty reply, "I already have..."

The moment I walked in the door, I took my first 'action step' to bring my project into reality.

As I work away - I think, how poetic that guidance was delivered in the form of harmless drunken sage on a bus......

3 comments:

Gretchen Ash said...

I am oh so familiar with that post-idea butt-to-chair letdown. It's frustrating - things don't come as fast, easily or neatly as you'd like and you just have to power through.

I've done enough of the powering through lately to say it does get easier. Habits are vital - showing up and choosing to focus (no surfing, no other projects), even if you simply stare at a blank page, is absolutely necessary. The muse will come and go, but the work will always be there.

Laura Bradley Rede said...

I know from concrete experience that the Universe will choose to speak to you through some pretty unlikely channels if you are open to hearing what you need to hear. I would say that Tom's message is dead on. Know that, as Gretchen said, the inspiration is going to come and go, but also know that if you persist and you "find your tribe" of folks who encourage your ideas and support you even when the inspiration is at low tide, you will be able to see some of those visionary plans through to completion. I for one can't wait to see the results!

HRJ said...

Thank you both for you insights! You both have inspired future blog posts!!! :-)