Thursday, October 7, 2010

Community.

Community.



I feel really compelled to write about this topic. I was inspired, a couple weeks ago, when listening web cast from Robert Ohotto, had entire an show dedicated to this topic, which I was moved to tears. Not in a bad way, in a “ I really needed to hear that message.”

I am going to speak to this topic from an artistic point of view.

Creating art (writing, painting, graphic design) is very solitary act. Hours upon hours are spent in a space creating. One trap, that I find myself falling into is, blocking out my peers, friends, family because I am so focused on the creation of my work. Long periods of time spent in this space, can leave to intense isolation and melancholy (or artistic funk). Humans are naturally social creatures. Whether we want to confess it or not we need human contact and interaction.

What I advise artists and non-artists, a like, get out at least couple times a month, for an hour. (I throw this out as a goal to start with especially for those of you work, have families, go to school or heavily booked.)To connect with other like minds. If you are writer, find a writers group. If you are a painter, find a painting group etc. Find your tribe.

There is a reason that rock groups exist, it is more difficult to rock out by yourself…..

I cannot begin to rave enough about the benefits about being in a writers groups. You have support, a group people to journey with you through the process. A place to talk “geek speak.” More importantly, it allows you to take a time out from being solitary and connect.

4 comments:

Chrissa said...

Great post! I've found that I like to isolate myself too, especially when it the middle of a story. I turn off my phone and shut myself off from other people. I do like taking time to talk with other like-minded people, though. Grab a cup of coffee or a drink and just chat about what we're working on and life in general. It's good to be reminded that we need to take those days to be social.

Shawn Enderlin said...

Back in May I was fired from my day job. While this may seem like a bad thing, it turned out to be a blessing. In the two months I was unemployed I wrote close to two thirds of my book.

During those two months I was completely immersed in writing. by the end of the day, I found myself craving human interaction, just like you are saying! It was really kind of funny. My wife would come home and I would follow her around for over an hour because I was starved for attention! :-)

PS - it was good to see all you Death Pixies on Tuesday. Come on over and hang at our blog once and a while: http://thescribblerati.blogspot.com/

HRJ said...

Thank you Shawn and Chrissa for your comments!

HRJ said...

PS Shawn - I will be checking out your writers group blog!

Happy Writing!!!!