Friday, October 2, 2009

Write It Wrong

That is my mantra this week. I am coming into the final third of this draft of my book and, although the ending is pretty much written, there are scenes between here and there that don't exist at all. I have tried to plan them out in advance but I know there is going to be a certain amount of trial and error involved here. In some cases I'm going to have to try a few different alternatives before I know exactly how a plot point should go. So my goal is to just get words out without judging them too harshly or over-thinking to the point of paralysis. I am giving myself permission to "write it wrong" and hoping that in the end that helps me get it right.

3 comments:

Nola J Moore said...

I took a screenwriting class with Rob Perez at the Loft recently, and he said something very similar, and I've heard it from lots of other folks, too.

I liked Rob's way of putting it though: "Write the soap opera version." In other words, write the over-the-top, hideously dramatic, no-subtlety-whatsoever version and really go for it. You'll get words down on paper, have a bit of fun with it, and then you know what you have to work with.

Laura Bradley Rede said...

Yes, that's a lot like what most directors will tell you when you're acting in a show. They want you to go too far, at least for a few rehearsals, and play everything over the top. Then closer to performance they will rein you in. It's often in those over-the-top rehearsals that you discover important things about the scene and your character. (And sometimes you discover that your idea of "over the top" is the director's idea of right on and you just leave it there!)

HRJ said...

Go for it! That is why there is thing call editing. Let the monster under your bed be as big, bad, mean, funny as you want! Entertain yourself, then pull it back in during your edit. :-)