Friday, March 27, 2009

Quote for the Day

"When I was born I didn't have anything. When I was born I only had stories."
--Harrison, my 4 year old son

Harrison is right that he has always had stories. He has always loved to be read to AT LENGTH. We usually read aloud the name of the author and illustrator of whatever we read and often read their bios as well because I want Harry to appreciate the fact that there are real people who created his books. I want him to understand that "writer" is a real job that he could do some day if he chose. Sometimes, however, I think I've taken it a little too far. The other day I told him that we would have to return a toy we had bought because it was missing a piece. "Huh," he said, "Maybe the author didn't have time to write that piece yet." Later that day he was looking at our fish tank. "Mama, " he asked, "Who is the author of fish?"
Harry also hears Marcy and I talk a lot about "grown-up" books. I am not a sports fan, but I am a fan of Twilight. Today I told Harry that a friend of his would be playing baseball this weekend. He looked at me quizzically. "Like a vampire?" I actually had to explain to my son that humans play baseball, too!
But it could be worse. He could live in a house where TV was even more important than books. (Don't get me wrong. We watch plenty of TV, but books are still king.) Today at the kid's gym I saw a little girl his age jumping on the gym mats. Every time she got ready to launch herself she would count down, "Ten, nine, eight central time..." I laughed so hard. I guess Harry isn't the only one who says the darndest things.

No comments: