Monday, January 5, 2009

Lost Passion, Inquire within.

Today, I was talking to a fellow colleague about an artistic project he was working on. What amazed me about the course of our conversation was his unwavering passion about his endeavor. Every fiber of his being was invested into this project 120%. In fact, his energy for this project was so explosive that if I were an agent, I would want to represent him.

No one would never know that he had recently suffered a major set back. When asked, if the interruption upset him. He responded with, “No, I LOVE what I am creating.” I walked away in awe and inspired by our conversation.

To be honest, I cannot remember the last time I was truly passionate about a story I was working on. I’ve been so caught up in the technical aspects of storytelling that I lost the love of telling the story. Perhaps ‘lost the love’ is the incorrect descriptive to use. It is better said of the following:
I’ve been emotionally non-committal and unavailable to my stories for fear of the rejection of being told that they are not good enough.

Eck! What a crazy realization! Surprisingly, this is only been a recent development. Thankfully, there is time to hit the reset button and start anew.

I believe that it is a combination of technical finesse and a genuine love for the story that makes a great storyteller.

1 comment:

Kelly McCullough said...

It's the attention to detail and craft that make the story available to others. It's the love that makes it available to the artist.