Sunday, December 7, 2008

Deep Thoughts on a Snow Day

Lately, for my free time I’ve been reading, Joseph Campbell. This is not my first time through Campbell. I first was introduced to his work in AP humanities in 11th grade, studied him in college. I have to admit as an adult, his writings have become more profound. In fact, I venture to say I do understand his ideas far better
.
While reading, The Power of Myth, today, I was metaphorically hit by a train. In the first 10 pages of the book, Campbell talks about how important stories are to society. The plight of being human is NOT about the seeking the meaning of life but the experience of what it means to be alive.

The meaning for life and death are woven into the mythologies of a culture. There is inherent need for people to understand life and what happens after death. It is through story that helps explain our existence and understand what happens to us in our daily life.

Because our world has been demythologized we are left with particular rites of passage for childhood to adulthood. Leaving youth to emulate gangster culture, gossip girl and sex and city culture and other stories they see on television.

All of this brings to my point:
How important writers and storytellers are to our society. We have been given the gift to create worlds and to pen stories that will help people understand themselves and the world better.
We are in an amazing time period to be spec fiction writers. People are hungry for these stories!
As oracles we should use our gift wisely.

(P.S. This thought has inspired not only to write more but to actually FINISH my stories!!!)

1 comment:

Sarah Matanah said...

This fits in with my last question in some ways. Writing (if people actually read it) can be a significant force in someone's life. This was particularly true of me in adolescence, when as a ridiculously shy person I didn't really interact with anyone except through literature (one way).
Part of my myth, I think, is to come to the point where I can complete that loop.
And that implies some responsibility on my part, to write stories that are significant to myself and my counterpart.