Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Writing more art less wrench

The most difficult thing about writing for me and my current and foreseeable lifestyle is that it's a slow burn. You just keep plugging away at it day after day. With the limited amount of time that I spend on it, I don't get very far, very fast. My current goal is to write five hours a week. I'm really a "get in, get it done, get out" kind of guy at least when it comes to projects around the house. Writing isn't like that. It's a long grind.

Of course, I don't like household projects. I don't know what I'm doing when I start. I try to study up ahead of time, but there are often surprises along the way, usually unpleasant. This parallels my writing experience, too. I don't know what I'm doing. It seems like hard work, and I don't enjoy it. Conversely, in domestic projects, I usually learn a lot, and I hope to do the same with writing. However, house projects are a lot more about hard knocks, and that kind of learning isn't subtle, and so it cannot be missed. It's hard to ignore how you should have shut the water off before disconnecting the pipe when it's spurting across the floor. With writing, it's harder to pinpoint why the story didn't work.

I hope that writing for me becomes more like practicing music. I'm reasonably knowledgeable about music, and I like practicing. I can do that for half an hour a day or more without complaint. There is more immediate feedback with music, and it also seems to come together in a reasonable time frame. I'd like my writing to be more like practicing a piano piece than fixing a leaky toilet.

Jason

No comments: