Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What's in your wallet?

Wallet, toolbox, laptop bag - whatever you call it, the items therein are invaluble to you as a writer.  They're the paraphernalia you can't live without, the tool/technique/talisman that saved a story.  The thing that keeps you writing, no matter what.  

Every toolkit is a little different, just like every writer is a little, well, different (I know what you're thinking.  Yes, we're that kind of "different," too.).  So what's in your toolkit?

I've got quite a few things in mine, and several new ones have made an entrance lately.  There is, of course, the trusty laptop.  The Moleskine notebook (they really are the best) and the Pilot G-2 gel pens.  The Edgar Allen Poe action figure who got me through NaNoWriMo and oversees all creative activity.  These are my old standbys.

The new ones?  Index cards and sharpies to help my scattered brain outline (in hopes that this will make for more tension and general freakiness).  Coffee shops, in all shapes and sizes.  Isaac the cat (who sits next to me and purrs & tells me I'm wonderful).  

It all matters.  It's all important, at least for a time.  And all only good while you apply the fundamental Rule #1 of writing: Apply butt to chair.  Write some stuff.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.  

1 comment:

Laura Bradley Rede said...

Necessary Objects:
-2 billion college-ruled notebooks (I write long hand)
-3 billion pilot fine point pens in all colors (I firmly believe that writer's block is caused by using the wrong pen. If I'm stumped, I buy a new pen! The old pen is then only suited to writing grocery lists.)
-My trusty laptop, Serenity. (Damn I'm a geek :)
-My Dragon Naturally Speaking voice dictation software. (I hate to type and love the sound of my own voice. I'm just kidding. It's easier for me to read my handwritten stories directly into the computer.)
On a bad day, I need all that and more. On a good day, I'll make due with that Dairy Queen napkin and the little stub of pencil I accidentally stole from the bulk section of the co-op-- or whatever else is at the bottom of my purse.
Inspiration trumps necessity-- but only on a good day :)