Thursday, July 24, 2008

Quote of the Day

(On being condescended to as a YA writer) "I recall a number of people looking down their noses at me when I explained what I do for a living, as if I painted watercolors of cats or performed as a clown at parties."

--Mark Haddon
author of "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time"

"A lot of people have no idea that right now YA is the Garden of Eden of literature... I thought I had been condescended to as an Indian. That was nothing compared to the condescension for writing YA."

--Sherman Alexie
National Book Award winner for "The Absolutely True Diary
of a Part-Time Indian"

Both these quotes come from a recent New York Times article about the changing definitions of YA and the enduring stigma against YA writers. To read the article in full, go to http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/20/books/review/Rabb-t.html?em&ex=1216958400&

No comments: